Today marks the day my little sister turns 16 and all I can say is, how did she grow up so fast? It seems like just yesterday her and I were playing with dolls in our big, pink doll house. Now she has her learners permit, no more braces, and is a sophomore in high school who wants to go to nursing school. I can’t believe my not so little sister is so grown up. All I can hope is she continues to become the amazing person I know she is but for now I leave her with 16 wishes as she begins a new year.
1. Always remember that no matter what your family loves and supports you through everything. Never forget that when you fall, we’ll always be there to pick you up.
2. Have fun! 16 was my favorite age (but then again so was 17). Be open to every opportunity that comes to you.
3. Sophomore year is just the beginning of some of the hardest years. Don’t worry, I’ll help you in every way I can.
4. Don’t get discouraged if something doesn’t go right. It may have ended up that way for a reason.
5. When you get overwhelmed and feel like everything’s falling apart, take a step back, breathe, then try again.
6. Remember who you are and always strive to be the best person you can be. It’s so important that you remember that.
7. Make memories with friends, family, whoever! Those are always so fun to talk about when you’re old like me.
8. Take pictures but don’t get lost in the photography. Look at every moment as if it were all a picture.
9. Try new things! Try a new style, a new food, anything! Be adventurous!
10. Don’t be afraid to find some alone time. It can be important when things get crazy.
11. Always be kind. You never know what someone is going through. Kindness is everything.
12. Create a soundtrack for yourself. Remember your favorite songs and why you love them so much.
13. Make time for family. Friends are important but family should always be made a priority.
14. Make a list of goals or things you want to do. Not only is it fun but it will help you grow too.
15. Never be afraid to stand up for what is right even when you might stand alone.
16. Know you are loved by so many people and we’re so proud of you.
Photo by Savannah Masterson